- About Linde
- BOC in the UK and Ireland
BOC Case Studies
- PLASTINUM™ GIM the success story
- BOC delivers wastewater treatment cost-savings
- Fuelling the future: BOC powers hydrogen transport
- Cold nitrogen gas: making fast work of underground fires
- Liquid nitrogen from BOC: vital to the bees’ needs
- IBL Cold Stores: finding the right alternative to R22
- Fuel cells: today’s technology for tomorrow’s cars
- Hymera: delivering power efficiently for smaller loads
- Overcoming structural distortions in welding
- BOC creates UK cryogenic storage facility
- BOC Customer Service: commitment to excellence
- The Harley Street Clinic: total solution to customer needs
- Carboflex®: Advanced Heat Treatment Solutions
- CIRRUS® VEC: Ensuring the highest emission control standards
- LINDOFLAMM®: reducing the risk of hydrogen cracking by pre-heating
- LINDOFLAMM®: removing of distortion in post welded steel
- Flame cutting: increasing productivity through efficient process
- How to Find Us
- Requirements of a Supplier to BOC
- BOC and Corporate Responsibility
- Safety, Health, Environment and Quality
- BOC Insurance
- BOC History
- Our Products and Services
- Tax Strategy
- Gender Pay Gap Report
- Company Profile
- The Linde Spirit
- Group Procurement
- Linde Worldwide
- Corporate History
Research costs continue to increase. So, too, does the value of intellectual property and scientific breakthroughs in a highly competitive global marketplace. As a result, the integrity of tissue samples and other items stored at very low temperature has never been more important.
Laboratories seek to mitigate risk; they want to partner with a supplier to whom they can entrust the safe and physically secure storage of valuable and fragile assets. They want peace-of-mind.
The BOC solution
BOC, a member of The Linde Group, has set up a national cryogenic storage facility for tissue samples and other items that need to be kept at ultra-low temperatures.
The BOC Cryobank uses state-of-the-art DryStore freezers. The storage area is completely free of liquid nitrogen. Instead, the liquid is housed in a jacket that surrounds the chamber. This allows the temperature to be reduced to as low as –190°C and, because no liquid nitrogen comes into contact with the samples, there is virtually no risk of cross-contamination.
Movement around the Cryobank facility is governed by strict ID authentication and access controls. The innovative cryogenic storage also makes for unprecedented sample security and operator safety.
The business benefits
BOC’s UK Cryobank facility provides research laboratories with a new standard of secure, cryogenic storage for tissue samples and other assets. It enables researchers to confidently outsource their requirement for very low temperature storage and mitigate the commercial risk associated with maintaining samples in perfect conditions. Customers are assured of consistently optimal conditions all the time they need storage.
BOC’s UK Cryobank is an example of the way in which BOC is able to access best practice and innovative technology from around the world. It has been developed in close collaboration with a similar Linde Group facility at Hedel in The Netherlands.
"Ensuring the safe and secure storage of research samples is vital in today’s multi-million pound medical research environment. Through discussions with a number of our customers we became aware of strong demand for this type of facility. As the UK’s largest medical and industrial gases supplier, BOC was able to harness the combined expertise of a number of specialists - engineering, cryogenics and software development included - to develop this facility which, because we manufacture the liquid nitrogen on site, is a first for the UK."
- National storage facility.
- Storage area free of liquid nitrogen.
- Nitrogen produced on site.
- Unprecedented standard of sample security and operator safety.
- Minimal risk of crosscontamination.
- UK centre of excellence with international links.