- About Linde
- BOC in the UK and Ireland
BOC Case Studies
- PLASTINUM™ GIM the success story
- BOC delivers wastewater treatment cost-savings
- Fuelling the future: BOC powers hydrogen transport
- Cold nitrogen gas: making fast work of underground fires
- Liquid nitrogen from BOC: vital to the bees’ needs
- IBL Cold Stores: finding the right alternative to R22
- Fuel cells: today’s technology for tomorrow’s cars
- Hymera: delivering power efficiently for smaller loads
- Overcoming structural distortions in welding
- BOC creates UK cryogenic storage facility
- BOC Customer Service: commitment to excellence
- The Harley Street Clinic: total solution to customer needs
- Carboflex®: Advanced Heat Treatment Solutions
- CIRRUS® VEC: Ensuring the highest emission control standards
- LINDOFLAMM®: reducing the risk of hydrogen cracking by pre-heating
- LINDOFLAMM®: removing of distortion in post welded steel
- Flame cutting: increasing productivity through efficient process
- How to Find Us
- Requirements of a Supplier to BOC
- BOC and Corporate Responsibility
- Safety, Health, Environment and Quality
- BOC Insurance
- BOC History
- Our Products and Services
- Tax Strategy
- Gender Pay Gap Report
- Company Profile
- The Linde Spirit
- Group Procurement
- Linde Worldwide
- Corporate History
Modern, high-efficiency electrical applications often only require a low power electricity supply. With this reduction in demand comes the opportunity to switch to new power sources that are clean, more efficient and affordable.
Petrol and diesel generators cannot operate efficiently enough at part-load to match the reduced power requirements of modern technologies. Hydrogen fuel cell generators have the potential to solve the supply/demand issue.
The BOC solution
BOC, a member of The Linde Group, working with Horizon Fuel Cells developed Hymera, a 150 watt hydrogen fuel cell generator. Fuelled by a lightweight 300 bar hydrogen cylinder, and with water (or water vapour) the only by-product, electricity is generated from the reaction of hydrogen with oxygen from the air.
This electrochemical process is very efficient, silent and portable. It brings the benefits of hydrogen fuel to small-scale, energy-efficient technologies, especially in locations where there is no access to grid-supplied electricity.
The business benefits
Hymera marks a step-change in the quest for off-grid low power generation.
An environmentally-friendly alternative to diesel or petrol powered generators, it has a similar cost-of-ownership and operating costs when used for low power applications. The major benefit is that it has a much lower carbon footprint.
As well as being ideal for low power applications, Hymera is considerably quieter than petrol or diesel equipment. It reduces exposure to high noise levels - a major health and safety concern for many companies – and does not emit potentially harmful carbon monoxide and nitrous oxide.
Another key advantage of hydrogen fuel cells is that they can be built to virtually any scale (from a few watts to a several megawatts) while still maintaining low emission levels and very high efficiency. By contrast, petrol and diesel generators (the smallest is just under 1kW) have very poor efficiency at low and part load – less than 5 per cent in some cases. So there is no benefit in using a high efficiency floodlight (rather than conventional tungsten floodlighting) with a petrol or diesel generator – the fuel consumption is only reduced by a small amount.
Hymera is the first commercially available small scale hydrogen fuel generator. BOC is working with a number of partners to adapt the technology to a wide range of applications across industry.
For more information on the Hymera Fuel Cell Generator, please contact Stewart Dow at email@example.com
"Hymera offers a new and practical alternative to conventional fuels – it brings commercially viable hydrogen power to today’s marketplace. The compact power generator is ideal for high-tech, low energy technologies like LED floodlighting. One unit can provide enough power to light up a tennis court or operate a traffic management system – high efficiency applications that require low power but for a long period of time."
- Commercially viable hydrogen fuel-cell technology.
- Step-change in offgrid power supply (low wattage).
- Practical alternative to traditional petrol and diesel generators.
- Highly energy-efficient.
- Fume-free with low noise and pollution levels.
- Scalable – can be built to any size.
- Supports transition to low carbon economy.