- Water & Wastewater Treatment Processes
- Petrochemical Processing & Refining
- Pharma & Biotechnology Processes
- Process Chemistry
- Manufacturing Processes
- CRYOCLEAN CO2 Cleaning Solutions
- Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Processes
Food Freezing & Chilling
- Preventum™ Rapid Surface Chilling
- CRYOLINE® MT Cryogenic Tunnel Freezer
- CRYOLINE® CS Compact Spiral Freezer
- CRYOLINE® CW IQF Freezer
- CRYOLINE® XF Spiral Freezer
- CRYOLINE® SC Super Contact Freezer
- CRYOLINE® CF Cabinet Freezer
- CRYOLINE® PE Pellet Freezer
- FROSTCRUISE® In-Transit Refrigeration
- Inerting, Purging & Blanketing
- Controlled & Modified Atmospheres
- Double Glazing
- Glass Processing
- Heat Treatment
- Hydrogen Energy
- Plastics & Rubber Processing
- Cryobank Cryogenic Biostorage
Found on the surface of almost all raw poultry, campylobacter bacteria causes an estimated 500,000 cases of food poisoning a year and costs the UK economy in the region of £900m, representing over half of the total cost of food-related illness. The Food Standards Agency (FSA) and poultry industry have jointly agreed targets to reduce the numbers of birds carrying the highest levels of campylobacter contamination from 27% of the total population, to 10% by 2015.
In order to achieve the jointly agreed target for the reduction of campylobacter by 2015, the FSA and the poultry industry are considering a strategic approach, which includes improved bio-security measures, combined with effective new or improved processing interventions.
In the new, patent applied for in-line Preventum™ Rapid Surface Chilling tunnel, the surface of the birds is rapidly chilled using a cryogenic vapour. During the recent industrial trials over 6,000 birds were processed using the new technology and the results confirmed a reduction in campylobacter counts of 90-95% (1 log to 1.5 log reduction) on average.
Schematic of Preventum™ Rapid Surface Chilling Process
These results have been verified through parallel, independent testing by the FSA, carried out at Campden BRI. The process is considered to be compliant with the EU hygiene and poultry meat marketing regulations.
Example of trial results of Preventum™ Rapid Surface Chilling
Following the proven success of this industrial trial, BOC is developing a full scale commercial tunnel for installation in a Joint Campylobacter Working Group member processing site in the summer of 2014.
Discussions are continuing with poultry processors and retailers to keep them up-to-date on the development and progress of this new technology. Preventum™ Rapid Surface Chilling technology will be launched to the market in the UK, Ireland and EU member states later in 2014.