Yes. Individual cylinder serial (barcode) numbers are printed on the delivery or collection advice notes in addition to being recorded on the scanning device and uploaded to our fully integrated tracking system. Your BOC account is then automatically updated.
- What is BOC’s cylinder tracking system?
BOC has implemented a cylinder tracking system throughout Great Britain (with Ireland, North & South, to follow soon). This system uses bespoke software and hardware to track individual cylinders through a combination of barcodes and unique cylinder numbers.
- Why has BOC introduced cylinder tracking?
Cylinder tracking has been introduced to ensure we better meet the needs of our customers. The fully integrated system benefits customers through greater reliability and accuracy of cylinder details ensuring we can handle customer enquiries more effectively.
- Can I choose not be included in the cylinder tracking system?
BOC has introduced cylinder tracking for the benefit of all our customers; it is not selective but will be applied to all cylinders supplied to every BOC customer.
- How and when was cylinder tracking introduced?
Cylinder tracking was launched by BOC in 2012 in Scotland. Following the successful trial, it was then rolled out gradually across Great Britain in 2013. The service was introduced throughout Northern Ireland in January 2014 and was launched in the Republic of Ireland to our Beer Gas and Drinks Dispense Gas customers in February 2014.
On September 15th 2014 this service was introduced for all our industrial and medical gas customers in the Dublin area. The phased roll-out continued with all BOC drivers, Gas and Gear stores and Agents throughout Ireland scanning every cylinder on supply and return by November 2014.
- What changes do customers experience?
All our cylinder delivery drivers and retail outlets use hand-held devices to scan every full cylinder supplied and every empty cylinder returned. When you receive a delivery you are required to provide a signature so a delivery advice note can be printed.
- What happens if there is no-one from my company available to sign for the delivery?
BOC has an agreement with some customers that deliveries will be unassisted; this agreement will remain in place. In these situations our driver has a code to enter into his scanner that allows your delivery to take place and the advice note to be printed and stored.
- Am I able to get a summary delivery advice note without the detailed cylinder serial numbers?
All cylinder serial numbers are provided on all delivery and collection notes. If you take a large number of cylinders at each delivery and would prefer not to have delivery notes at the point of supply please send us an email to that effect and we will instruct our drivers not to print delivery notes for you.
You can email us through our website.
- Can I get copies of the delivery advice notes at a later date?
Yes. All delivery notes along with the signature provided at the time of supply are recorded and copies can be provided upon request, usually within 24 hours of delivery.
- Can you provide detailed reports of cylinders issued to and returned from me by delivery address?
Yes. Detailed information of cylinder transactions can be made available upon request.
- Do deliveries take longer?
Our experience to date has been that there is no noticeable difference in the time taken to complete deliveries.
- How will this affect my business with BOC?
Most customers have not noticed any change in how they do business with BOC. For some, where cylinder records were found to be inaccurate, adjustments have been made and applied.
- Has BOC increased cylinder rental or other prices to cover the cost of the cylinder tracking system?
BOC has not raised rental or gas prices as a direct result of introducing cylinder tracking.
- How is it affecting my cylinder holdings and rental invoices?
Cylinder holdings and rental invoices accurately reflect the BOC cylinders held on your account.
- How are cylinders and accounts reconciled?
A cylinder returned to BOC is removed from the account to which it was supplied. If you have multiple delivery locations or accounts set up within our system, and cylinders move between them depending on the work being undertaken, then BOC will locate the correct account upon the cylinders’ return and adjust the holdings accordingly. Reports of individual cylinder deliveries and returns can be made available.
- What if I have a cylinder delivered by BOC then return it to one of your agents?
All BOC retail outlets including official BOC Agents are scanning cylinders supplied to and returned from customers. The cylinder tracking system is fully integrated and therefore all transactions are updated and cylinder records adjusted automatically, irrespective of how and where the cylinder was supplied and returned.
- What happens if your employee does not scan cylinders delivered to or returned from me?
All BOC employees and Agents are highly trained and scanning rates are extremely high. Occasional omissions due to oversight or equipment failure are picked up at the next scanning point and records are adjusted accordingly.
- What happens if the barcode is missing when your driver picks up the empty cylinder?
Our drivers carry temporary barcodes and by using these and the unique cylinder serial number, records are updated when the cylinder is returned to the BOC site.
- What happens if the barcode gets damaged, will I be charged?
BOC accepts that occasional wear & tear damage occurs to our assets. Serious damage to any BOC asset will incur a charge.
- If I lend a cylinder to a third party or it is stolen, how is my BOC account impacted?
A cylinder returned to BOC is always removed from the original account upon which it was supplied, irrespective of who has returned it. Where a cylinder is reported as lost or stolen a lost cylinder charge will be made and cylinder holdings will be adjusted accordingly. If the cylinder is later returned to BOC, irrespective of who returns it, a credit may be provided depending on the time lapsed.
- Can I see the serial numbers of the cylinders I hold online?
The serial numbers of your bar-coded cylinders are available to view online and to download in an excel document. If you are already registered to use our online shop you can sign in, navigate to the cylinder holdings page and click on the barcode symbol to view the serial numbers of the cylinders you hold.
If you are not registered to use the online shop, you can register here first for instant access.