Hydrogen (H2)Hydrogen can be used with argon in a range of gas mixtures for plasma-cutting and underwater flame-cutting.
- Odourless, colourless and tasteless
- Will ignite easily so cylinders must not be snifted
- Burns with an invisible flame
- Produces a flame of approximately 2834°C when used with oxygen
- Supplied in high-pressure cylinders
Buy Hydrogen online
- Has the highest thermal conductivity of all gases.
- Is supplied at higher pressures than other fuel gases.
- Burns with a clean carbon-free and soot-free flame.
Applications and Uses
- An important addition to argon in a range of argon-hydrogen shielding gases for TIG and plasma welding.
Shielding gas mixtures are primarily used for welding austenitic stainless steels and some nickel alloys.
- Can be used with argon in a range of gas mixtures for plasma-cutting primarily stainless steel and aluminium.
- Used with oxygen for underwater flame-cutting. Deeper cutting requires increased pressure of fuel and oxygen.
- Can be used as an alternative power source when used with a fuel cell to generate electricity.
- In the glass industry, used to form the rim on glasses.