- Small Businesses at BOC
Articles & Advice
- How to choose the right shielding gas for your welds
- Choosing the right welding helmet
- How Caple Forge maintain their steel fabrication quality
- Top tips on managing cashflow
- Automatic balloon filling kit helps keep waste at a minimum
- Balloon filling kit helps Cardwise achieve top fills
- Small welding gas cylinder takes poll position
- Save on welding gas with new lightweight cylinder
- Rented gas cylinders ease pressure on costs
- Welding gas cylinder is just the right size for MG Midget
- Commitment to quality gives Hitchin firm ability to grow
- Step-by-step video guides
The company began as a sheet metal shop in 1965. Today it employs 27 people providing sheet metal and CNC machining technology solutions to the defence, aerospace, medical and commercial sectors.
Hermitage is doing so well that it may have to extend premises, especially as its work in coded welding (as well as CNC machining and sheet metal work) is growing. It’s also taking on apprentices in the last two years and has 10 work experience students coming in this year with a chance of an apprenticeship the next year.
Managing Director David Spencer has built up the company his father started by ensuring it stands out in the crowd and focuses on customers. “I was getting a bit complacent a couple of years ago as the company was running all right,” he admits. “But I took the blinkers off and we have come on leaps and bounds.”
For the last two years Hermitage has concentrated on achieving SC21, a supply chain programme that’s all about improving performance.
“We achieved a SC21 bronze award last September for achieving 95% on-time deliveries and 98.5% quality over 12 months,” said David.
“This year we also won silver supplier status from BAE Systems.”
BOC as a quality partner
Going for SC21 has made Hermitage more effective and leaner, while a product management system incorporating ISO9001 and AS9100B (aerospace standard) ensures quality always exceeds customer’s expectations.
“With the markets we are in, we have to have the best and that includes gas from BOC, which we’ve used for years,” added David. “BOC is part of the chain of good service we provide.”
Brian Dewe, Hermitage Sheet Metal Ltd, 25 Knowl Piece, Wilbury Way, Hitchin SG4 0TY