Travelling with Oxygen

Being on oxygen therapy need not mean that you are confined to your home

There are options available for patients wishing to travel with oxygen, whether this is going about their daily routine or travelling further afield.

For patients requiring oxygen whilst they are out and about there are oxygen modalities available to do so. These modalities have been designed for this purpose and are safe to travel with whether in a car or on public transport.

Please follow the below guidance when traveling with oxygen:

  • Please do advise your car insurer that you may be transporting a small number of cylinders or liquid oxygen in your vehicle.
  • Remember to firmly secure the ambulatory cylinders in your vehicle so that they do not cause harm to persons or damage the vehicle.
  • Wherever possible locate any spare cylinders in the boot or away from the vehicle cabin.
  • We do not recommend that patients transport high capacity cylinders.
  • We do not advise any patients to transport static concentrators or non-portable cylinders.

Travelling with Oxygen

Going on holiday in the UK

Please let us know your holiday plans asap, we ask for a courtesy two weeks’ notice for holidays in England and Wales.

If you are holidaying in Scotland, the supplying company require three weeks’ notice and the Isle of Man require four weeks notice.

Before you book:

  • Contact your planned holiday destination to gain permission for oxygen equipment to be delivered and stored in the accommodation.
  • Deliveries are Monday- Friday 8am-5pm; it is your responsibility to ensure someone will be available between these times to take the delivery. Equipment can be left in a dry safe place if agreed with the property owner.
  • If you are travelling by public transport – contact the transport company and inform them you will be carrying oxygen.
  • There is no need for a holiday HOOF, please contact BOC on 0800 136 603 to discuss your holiday plans and we will send the details to the oxygen provider covering the area you are travelling to.
  • If you are wanting a different modality to what you have at home e.g static cylinder instead of a concentrator, you will need to contact your Healthcare Professional for an updated Home Oxygen Order Form (HOOF)
  • The holiday equipment you may receive whilst you are holidaying may differ slightly from the equipment you use at home- if you experience any difficulties you will be given a telephone number for the provider where you are holidaying.
BOC will need the following information:
  • Start and end date of your holiday.
  • Full postal address and telephone number of he holiday destination.
  • Name/ contact details of the person accepting the delivery of the equipment.
  • If your prescription should change please call BOC on 0800 136 603 to discuss as a new HOOF from your Healthcare Professional may be needed.
  • Please talk to your Homecare Technician or call us to discuss on 0800 136 603.

Going on holiday outside the UK

Before booking a holiday outside the UK it is advisable to discuss your plans with your doctor or healthcare professional especially if you are flying.

Patients have to source and pay for oxygen when travelling outside of the UK. Oxygen Equipment installed by BOC is not supported outside of the UK.

Oxygen for flying

Before you book your flight find out the following information:

  • What the airline’s policy is on oxygen? Some airlines will not allow oxygen on the plane at all, it depends on the airline. You must find out before you book a ticket. For more information please visit European Lung Foundation website
  • The exact length of the flight, and whether delays are likely
  • The facilities available at both airports. This includes assistance required with luggage, boarding the aircraft, wheelchair requirements and whether oxygen is available
  • If the holiday involves a long-haul flight, you should find out if time will be spent at a third airport for refuelling and how oxygen will be supplied there if required
  • How you confirm your fitness to fly. Some airlines let you travel without a letter from your doctor, while others ask you to fill in a special medical form, verified either by your own GP or by the airline’s medical staff. Most ask for a fitness to fly certificate, obtained from your doctor.
Everyone who is a resident in the UK should have insurance and carry it with them when traveling abroad. Remember to check your Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) is still valid before you travel.

Patients ordering portal